End of the Semester !?

It's hard to believe it's December already. Adding the four months I spent in Tokyo last year and my time with JET I've been in Japan for just over 8 months, and yet in that time I feel like my Japanese has actually deteriated since graduating last May. Gee, maybe I should actually study... :P

This week was the Mid-year Seminar for Toyama JETs. Got two "business trip" days off from work to make the 1 hr drive to Toyama City and attend a bunch of workshops. It was as expected. Somehow I ended up getting placed in the "Culture Shock" workshop- not even sure if I know what that is. I did however get to learn a bit of Portugese in one of language workshops (Oi, bon dea!)

They're predicting the first snowfall of the year this Sunday. Everyone at work has been giving me a hard time 'bout not changing the wheels on the car to snow tires yet. The Fukushikaikan came through for us once again with a free set so it's just a matter of takin' the Fun Cargo in to get 'em changed. Will I be able to drive in 4ft of snow on non-salted, non-plowed roads?? These snow tires must be magic.

Still sick, but gettin' better. My student's are all fascinated by my purple Powell's Nalgene bottle I've been carrying around to classes. They all stare and point at it during class. I never see anyone here drinking water, even when they're sick.
Students: What's inside?
Me: Water.
Students: What kind of water? Is it medicine?
Me: It's just normal water, for drinking.
Students: why?
Me: ...?

The other day I had an hour long conversation with the office ladies and the vice principal about drinking coffee. Apparently nobody here is aware of the fact that coffee has caffeine in it, and caffeine in large quantities is bad for your heart. I was like, yes, it's in tea, soda, and chocolate too! Don't they teach you this in health? Oh wait, there is no health class in Japan. (but they do have a class that teaches basic Morality where students learn to be kind to their elders)

falling asleep at my desk... need a cup of coffee

Comments

Unknown said…
Okay, I post another comment here. Whee! My computer broke so I will have to save this link on my BFs computer. Blarg!

Popular posts from this blog

An Update

Down on the 4th

It's cold inside