snowed in

So naturally, the day the last of the JETs in my region take off for their holiday vacations we get our first big snowfall in the Tonami Region, and I alone was lucky enough to still be here and experience it :\ (i think)...



On the last official day of work (yesterday) we had a "mini typhoon" that hit our area for about 14 hours, but by 4:00pm the heavy rain turned into snow which continued into the night and the next morning.


snow buries fun cargo, first 3 hrs of snowfall

In our region at least, the preferred method of snow removal is by melting it with water... so each house in my neighborhood has a special type of hose with little holes lining it. The hose runs from a well and is placed on the alley/street you want cleared, and then the water slowly melts the snow. My supervisor explained how to use ours a few weeks ago so I decided to try it out the night it started snowing. The next day at 7:30am I got a knock on the door from some guy from Iox Arosa saying I was using it wrong... I won't say how 'cause its all rather complicated :P But after straightening it out we got to work clearing the neighborhood.

I spent an hour last night shoveling snow but after realizing the futality of my efforts I gave up and left it as a project for the following morning. By 8am the whole town was digging out the streets with these hand-plows and had their snow-melting hose running. Being the house on the end of my alley, I dug out a pathway to the street. Took about 2 hrs.


look what I did :D

I spent the remainder of the afternoon walking around town in my "Toyama boots" taking pictures and testing out the fun cargo's snow tires. We have a great car.



All night and day the snows been piling up and sliding off the roof in small avanlances shaking the house. Tomorrow's gunna be another fun-filled, snow-shovelin' day.

I suppose this is my last entry of 2006. One year ago today I was standing in the icy rain for 11 hours waiting for the ball to drop in Times Square, NYC. This year I'll be bringing in the new year in another metropolis on the other side of the world ;) Hopefully it'll be a bit warmer this time.

Happy New Year everyone,
and hello to any of you attending Cassie's party, sorry I can't be there this year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Update

Down on the 4th

It's cold inside