new blog

This will be my blog while I'm teaching in Japan with JET.
Here you'll also find links to my most recent photo galleries (assuming I ever get around to fixing my poor camera).



My placement is Toyama Prefecture (prefectures are similar to US counties) in the town of Fukumitsu, which is one of eight towns that make up Nanto City.
On the right side under the link to my photos there's a small map of Japan with a general marker of where Toyama is.
To see a more detailed map of the cities of Toyama, go here
And for an even more detailed map of the towns and cities in relation to each other, go here
You'll see Nanto and Fukumitsu on the lower right side of the map.

I'm in contact with my predecessor now so I have all the details on my new life in Toyama. Here are the things you may find most interesting (or not):

1. I'll be living in the inaka (rural Japan), or more specifically Nanto City of Toyama Prefecture. So lots of old houses, lots of old people, and rice patties-a-plenty. Quite a change from the life I'm used to in Tokyo. Here are a few photos sent to me by my predecessor:


View from the front door

2. I'll be living in a house- traditional style. Lots of room, but apparently there's no heating or air con.


My future home covered in snow

3. I'll be living with a roommate! JETs are usually given a place by their Contracting Organization (CO) or are left to hunt for their own. Our situation is a first apparently- there will be two of us taking over the position of one JET, and I suppose the city decided it was easiest and cheaper to just put us in the same house. Not like we don't have the room!


Inside one of the main rooms

4. I'll be teaching junior high kids, ages 13-15 at Fukumitsu Junior High, as well as two elementary schools. I still don't know how the scheduling will work out, but this probably means stricter use of the textbook and a lot less freedom in the classroom since the English levels will be lower. Although that also means less stress for me and livelier students :)



Itinerary-

July 28th: Depart for Chicago. Pre-departure Orientation.
July 29th: Depart for Tokyo
July 30th: Arrive in Tokyo. Begin 3-day Orientation.
August 2nd: Depart for Host Prefecture. Move into new house :D

Apparently orientation in Tokyo will take place at a really posh hotel smack-dab in the middle of Shinjuku. It looks like our schedule in Tokyo is pretty tight, but I'm hoping we'll have enough free time for me to slip out and visit my host family in Chiba.

Comments

kotog said…
http://kotog.blogspot.com/

check it! i figured out how to do a bunch now :D
Anthony said…
keio plaza party time

(i found your blog off of fb)

Popular posts from this blog

An Update

Down on the 4th

Winter Break Itinerary