Labor of Love...?

Just before I took off for Hong Kong last year the head teacher at my big elementary school approached me and asked if I would give the school "a souvenir gift." This "gift" had many specifications: 1. It was to be 5 drawings done by me of any size or medium. 2. The subject was to be scenery of the school and students. 3. It had to be around postcard size, and 4. It was DUE by mid June.

I don't think I've ever been asked by anyone over the age of 7 for such a specific present before. Anyway, being the sucker I am I said yes. It ended up taking far longer than the time alloted, but seeing as it was a "present" they weren't in a position to complain (although there was a fair amount of inquiring every week or so). Here is 1 of 5 of the final product:


2 of 5 They specifically asked that I draw the ugly "mountain" in the back of the school, which is actually just a small hill with some trees on top. The hill wouldn't even make a good sledding hill. By itself it made a rather lame subject for a drawing, so I added the little pond they have in back also...still is really weak imo.

3 of 5 Four of my 4th grade girls during recess on unicycles. I had to cut the 5th girl in the pic out for composition reasons.

4 of 5 View of the school ground during recess from the staff room. Fukumitsu town and surrounding mountains in background.

5 of 5 First graders serving lunch.

I've been told that in Japan there is usually no monetary compensation for special jobs like this, since the honor of being asked in the first place is enough. That's crap. Honor doesn't pay for the time, labor and materials that go in to jobs like these... like my mom says, talk about not placing value on the labor of artists :\

One week after I turn them into my school, I come in and there's a huge box full of actual postcard sets with my drawings printed on the front. They gave a set to every faculty and staff at the school, and to the principals, vice principals at other schools in the city. The past month or so I've been approached by everyone and their mother commenting on the "chubu omiyage."

Inevitably my other elementary school found out and asked if I wouldn't draw something similar for them to be put on display in the school festival one week later. I couldn't be bothered to use my nib pens again so I just used a regular ball point. They turned out kinda cruddy, but what can you expect in one week:



I only drew 2 for this school. You can see the other on my flickr.

And as expected my junior high asked for the same thing:


2 of 3 My English classroom, aka the LL. First graders in their winter uniforms.

3 of 3 Distracting my 2nd year girls during cleaning time.





Pumping out these drawings made me wonder how my dad was able to do this for a living. I do love drawing, but I don't know if I still would were someone always telling me when, how, and what to draw. Maybe if I was paid, and not already working a full time teaching job in addition I wouldn't mind so much. As it is I don't see myself doing any drawing outside my meeting doodles for a reeeally long time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Update

Down on the 4th

It's cold inside